[OLPC-AU] Network and some further Q's

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Mon Sep 27 22:01:09 EDT 2010

On 28 September 2010 09:28, Jonathan Nalder <jnald2 at eq.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi team,
> have been exploring using GNOME to connect to our DETQ network - need to
> load a security certificate also which is the sticking point at the moment.
> With some help I was able to get it connected to our network, but when we
> switched to sugar the connection did not remain active
>
> This has also led me to consider the place of GNOME in our rollouts - its
> not even really mentioned in the teacher training, but of course for
> students who find it and use it I need to know a couple of things security
> wise which those above me would ask:
> - how locked down re: user rights is the GNOME side of things?

There is no locking down. The olpc user account is by design a limited
privilege account, but there is no root password so it is easy to get
full access.

> - can the XO boot off a USB?

It can boot from USB or SD card (there's a slot under the screen). The
operating system you choose needs to support the XO's hardware (e.g.
it uses OpenFirmware instead of a BIOS).

> - can students who have no idea what they are doing do much damage in
> terminal?

If they don't su/sudo to root, the most they can do is trash the olpc
home directory. The important files and directories are hidden, but an
enterprising child may be able to delete the Journal and installed
Sugar activities and settings.

The easy way to recover is to use a Customisation Stick. If the system
gets corrupted, the XO can be reimaged.

> - is it possible to have the keyring in GNOME turned off? Wouldn't want
> students entering an initial password that gets lost etc and causes
> problems.

The keyring is used to store passwords and other sensitive information
in an encrypted form. This includes passwords for wireless networks.

It can be disabled, but that means you'll have to, for example, type
in the password of the wireless network each time you want to connect.

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Technical Manager
One Laptop per Child (OLPC) Australia
p: +61 425 239 701