[OLPC-AU] Network and some further Q's

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Mon Sep 27 21:41:17 EDT 2010

Hi
Not much of a programmer so I might have this wrong:

> - how locked down re: user rights is the GNOME side of things?
> - can the XO boot off a USB?
> - can students who have no idea what they are doing do much damage in terminal?
> - is it possible to have the keyring in GNOME turned off? Wouldn't want students entering an initial password that gets lost etc and causes problems.

Complete erasing of the software is possible. In either Terminal in Sugar or in Gnome you can do anything with su or sudo
The OLPC has been designed to be user programmable, easy reflashing from USB is part of that strategy, easy recovery of the OS. Students using Terminal or Gnome should backup their work to a USB or school server before experimenting.

Tony