[OLPC-AU] Flash and updating the XO

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 31 12:05:03 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 11:19 +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 01:22:07PM +0930, Eric Barrows wrote:
> > It's been a lot of trial and error, but just sharing to see if anybody
> > can suggest improvements.
>
> Looks good.
>
> Don't know how it fits into your workflow, but if you're deploying this
> to multiple laptops you might also consider reimaging from a master
> laptop.  The sequence might be install a build image, make these changes
> you describe, then make a new image.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Imaging_for_XO-1.5 covers some of this for
> XO-1.5, and you can also do it using wireless on XO-1.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Imaging/Side_effects has things you should
> consider before imaging.

I was going though olpc-os-builder when it occurred to me that once its
cache is populated with the needed rpms, you have everything you need to
re-spin an image. I'd like to make olpc-os-builder portable by splitting
the creation of the cache, and building of the image, like pungi does,
to be able to run it offline. I'm thinking that adding a "run from local
cache only" option would be the way to go to gain this. In
ksmain.50.repos.py there are some hard-coded urls pointing to the needed
repos, if you set "local cache" then point the urls to the local cache
in place of the internet addresses. Any mods that you wish to
incorporate would be a matter of placing the needed commands in
correctly named file ending with .inc in the appropriate modules
directory of olpc-os-builder.

Any thoughts?

Jerry

http://mock.laptop.org/repos/