[OLPC-Asia] No evidence, but OLPC continues 'education' spin

lite li litekok at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 05:08:16 EDT 2012

There is some comments on :
http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/54160-no-evidence-but-olpc-continues-education-spin

>From Luc Bollen:

"The study [...] came to the conclusion [...] that the OLPC project had no
benefit to education at all."

Did you read the study report ?  This is not its conclusion at all !

On p. 20, Conclusion: "The intervention generated a substantial increase in
computer use both at school and at home. Results indicate limited effects
on academic achievement but positive impacts on cognitive skills and
competences related to computer use. Cognitive abilities may arise through
using the programs included in the laptops, given that they are aimed at
improving thinking processes. However, to improve learning in Math and
Language, there is a need for high-quality instruction. From previous
studies, this does not seem the norm in public schools in Peru, where much
rote learning takes place (Cueto et al., 2006; Cueto, Ramírez and León,
2006). Hence, our suggestion is to combine the provision of laptops with a
pedagogical model targeted toward increased achievement by students."

See also on p. 3: "On the positive side, the results indicate some benefits
on cognitive skills. In the three measured dimensions, students in the
treatment group surpass those in the control group [...] The effects are
quantitatively large. A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that the
estimated impact on the verbal fluency measure represents the progression
expected in six months for a child."

About the fact that Math and Language skills were not improved:

On p. 3: "Turning to educational outcomes, we find no evidence that the
program increased learning in Math or Language. [...]  This may be
explained by the lack of software in the laptops directly linked to Math
and Language and the absence of clear instructions to teachers about which
activities to use for specific curricular goals."

On p. 4: "Ferrando et al. (2011) explore the effects on 27 schools that
participated in the OLPC program in Uruguay and find positive statistical
effects on both Math and Language."

You should know that in Uruguay, specific Math and Language software was
loaded in the OLPC laptops.  This was not the case in Peru, where the
government goal was mainly to increase access to computers by poor
children.  This goal was achieved.

See also
-
https://edutechdebate.org/olpc-in-peru/oscar-becerra-on-olpc-perus-long-term-impact/
by
the guy responsible for the Peru OLPC deployment
- http://blog.laptop.org/2012/04/13/nicholas-on-peru/ by Nicholas Negroponte
>From T.K.:

I wrote on my facebook on in March 6. 1 1/2 months later all I read are
negative recycled news. Please do more thinking before writing.

"As a Psychologist trained in evaluation I am impressed by the 5 months
gain by children who use the XO compared to non-X0 students in Peru.
Can't get more details on what tests they used and design of this "1st
Randomized-controlled" study.
"The IDB did find some positive and significant results in cognitive
ability – a five-month lead over non-XO students – but no overall
significant differences were found on Mathematics and Language
standardized tests 15 months after the implementation"

from Nicholas Negroponte:

Your story is a sad form of journalism.  As one reader noted below, the
study mentions increasing in cognitive ability. The lack of improvement in
test score may speak to the anachronisms of such testing.

Furthermore, as Founder and Chairman of OLPC, something I have been doing
full-time for over eight years, I have not been paid one penny and for me
it has been pure charity.

Ask your readers if there is one among them who would not give his or her
child a connected laptop if that family could afford it? I doubt there is.
No testing was needed to make that decision.