[Nigeria-opensource] US Department of Defense: Central Command & One Laptop Per Child

mark.hardie at us.army.mil mark.hardie at us.army.mil
Mon Sep 11 22:19:07 EDT 2006

   This is a memorandum from Mark Charles Hardie, Esq.  I am with the
   United States Department of Defense Biomedical Engineering Education
   Program. Moreover, I am a supporter of One Laptop Per Child.

   US Central Command Doctrine

   The current commander of US Central Command is General John Philip Abizaid.
   General Abizaid has a doctrine--"it takes a network to destroy a network".
   This saying, of course, applies to US policy in relation to the Global
   War on Terror.  However, I believe that General Abizaid's doctrine has
   direct applicability to One Laptop Per Child.  If "it takes a network
   to destroy a network," then "it takes a network to educate a child".

   I think that OLPC's vision is just that:  "It Takes A Network To Educate
   A Child".

   Thus far, the focus has been on producing and distributing a "$100" laptop.
   However, on the deep-structure, OLPC is actually creating an "educational
   network" for children to learn via peer-to-peer communication.  Again,
   it takes a network to educate a child".

   As a member of the Defense Community, I have noticed that much of the world's
   attention and foreign policies are directed at the Global War on Terror.  In
   fact, today is the five year anniversary of the September 11th attack.  We,
   therefore, must not forget that OLPC is one of the positive educational
   solutions which will make our world a safer, more secure and peaceful place.

   Let us all remember that it "takes a network to educate a child".  And we
   are part of that network.

   Mark Charles Hardie, Esq.
   United States Department of Defense

   Note I recommend reading about General Abizaid:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Abizaid