[Nigeria-opensource] nigerian fonts

Richard Mittendorfer delist at gmx.net
Sat Aug 12 17:02:01 EDT 2006

Hello *!

Good to find Hausa and Yoruba support! Can somebody please link me to
some localization files (.po)? I'll want thwm for them in a volunteering
project (linux- and networktraining) as of september in Kaduna.

Also sprach Khaled Hassounah <khaled at laptop.org> (Sat, 12 Aug 2006
13:37:29 -0400):
> Thanks Shina, Essien and Odla for responding.
>
> I guess there is consensus that Gentium and Gentium-alt are right set
> of
>  fonts.
>
> Do those fonts cover all of the languages in question? Yoruba, Igbo
> and Hausa? or is Hausa covered in a different set of fonts given it's
> use of Arabic letters?

AFAIK, there are two common spellings. One is covered with latin
character (IIRC plus some extended chars), the other is arabic. However,
i've read latin's widely used.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/hausa.htm
http://www.bisharat.net/wikidoc/pmwiki.php/PanAfrLoc/Hausa

> Khaled