[OLPC Networking] Recommendation I3

Ricardo Carrano carrano at laptop.org
Tue Aug 12 16:31:40 EDT 2008

Hi Oliver,

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Oliver Mattos <oliver at mattos.co.uk> wrote:
> Suggestion:
>
> Always use the fastest rate (54) for connections between all peers in the
> mesh.  The only condition that allows the rate to be reduced is when a mesh
> node can't contact any other node, in which case it lowers transmit rate.

I find it very tempting to do so, but I am concerned with sparse mesh
scenarios where nodes are not close enough to reach each other at
54Mbps. One example would be children in their homes chatting with a
neighbor. So I believe that an adaptive mechanism would more
appropriate. Do you think differently?