[OLPC Networking] Mesh compatibility

aaron aaron at lo-res.org
Sun Jul 29 09:25:52 EDT 2007

hi bob!

nice to hear that you use OLSR with citysense.
We are currently re-writing OLSR (from olsr.org)
with our OLSR-NG project: http://wiki.funkfeuer.at/index.php/OLSR-NG
Dijkstra now finally has O(n*log(n)) as it should be :)

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 09:33:17PM -0400, Bob Keyes wrote:
> Hello all,
> I've been working with wifi mesh networks for a couple of years. I have
> primarily used Roofnet in the past. I am now working at Harvard on the
> CitySense project, where we are currently using OLSR.
>
> I''d like to consider having our mesh sensor network be compatible with
> the OLPC 802.11 pre-S protocol. I wonder if it could be emulated using the

same here!

> Click modular router software, which is what Roofnet is built on top of.
> Ideally, it wouldn't be tied into using the Marvell chip but could use
> Atheros or other chipsets.

please let's get in personal contact as soon as possible, I was dreaming of
doing that basically some time ago . Let's do that!

> What is available, in terms of software emulators or Marvell on
> mini-pci ?

Hm, I am afraid most of the interesting stuff is burried in the NDA'ed
firmware.

My approach would be 1) to make some kind of gateway / integration
between the two network stacks. (quite easy since OLSR is layer 3)
and see what nice features we could add to olsr to make it "fit".
I already reserved a hosted project for that on dev.laptop.org.
And then 2) to bring the 802.11s standard to other chips (as you mentioned
before).

-> further contact via personal mail /phone. :)

aaron.