[OLPC Networking] Mesh multicast support

Krishna Sankar (ksankar) ksankar at cisco.com
Mon Jan 22 10:01:52 EST 2007

Good question.

>From my limited knowledge, the mesh is more or less transparent - i.e.
the 802.11s routing protocols use mesh algorithms; but the routed
protocols, over the 802.11s, could be anything.

But this raises a good point - may be we want to restrict multicast by
partitioning the network to small domains as well as keep a lid on the
number of multicast messages. There is a finite possibility that
multicast could drain the resources if not contained properly. OTOH,
because of the underlying mesh topology, multicast might not be as
costly as it seems.

Trent, I assume you are exploring Avahi for OLPC. I did look into it and
looks like it should work without any problems; except the partitioning
aspect. (An waiting for my modules to actually test this) If the whole
network (or some big superset in a domain) is a giant mesh, while it is
good in terms of visibility of services, end points et al, it could
cause lots of routing overhead basically draining the power.

Cheers
<k/>