[OLPC Networking] wireless access point?

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Wed Feb 28 06:27:27 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:12:32PM +1100, Alex Gibson wrote:
> Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> >In anticipation of XO rollout, I want to set up a wireless access point.
> >Are there any recommendations or guidelines about what router or kinds
> >of routers in which to invest? The school buildings have cement and
> >brick construction.
>
> More details
>
> Where ?
> Power source ?

We get electricity regularly enough to power the server with a UPS.

> Any existing wireless ?

No.

> What conditions(climate) ?

India, so it gets hot outside but it generally doesn't get too hot
inside.

> Indoors or outdoors ?

Mostly indoors. We have 2 and 3 story buildings. If the AP is located on
the top floor, will computers on the bottom floor be able to ping it?
How about computers in another building nearby (100-200 meters)?

> On what sort of network?

We have a broadband internet connection and some 100Mbit ethernet wires
in the main building. In nearby buildings on the school campus there are
no ethernet wires.