[OLPC Networking] wireless access point?

Alex Gibson agibson at eng.uts.edu.au
Tue Feb 27 06:12:32 EST 2007

Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> In anticipation of XO rollout, I want to set up a wireless access point.
> Are there any recommendations or guidelines about what router or kinds
> of routers in which to invest? The school buildings have cement and
> brick construction.

More details

Where ?
Power source ?
Any existing wireless ?
What conditions(climate) ?
Indoors or outdoors ?
On what sort of network?

I've been using the olpc's we have with a linksys wrt54gl
with both linksys and opensource firmwares.
Been working with no problems.

Slowly  ruggedising and setting up an wrt54gl for outside use including
powering via pv panel(solar).
Problem is in some areas of Australia in summer ambient air temp can
quite easily hit 45*C(approx 113*F).

eg In a roadside equipment box even with fan cooling
the air temp can hit 65*C.
Sla and other batteries don't like that much heat

Alex

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If