[OLPC Networking] Mesh network?

MBurns maburns at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 04:22:23 EDT 2006

On 9/6/06, Khaled Hassounah <khaled at laptop.org> wrote:

> It is based on the 802.11s pre-standard. Mesh routing support will be
> built in at a low level (on the networking hardware module itself) to
> allow for mesh routing while the machine is closed.

Thanks Khaled,

Is any of that documentation/design written down somewhere online? There
doesn't seem to be any mention of 802.11s on the wiki. Like I mentioned, I'm
interested in the specifics on how the laptop's nitty-gritty networking will
work. I've been catching up on MANET and ad hoc routing protocols but they
are just generic whitepapers, not specific to implementations.

Also, what are the scalability goals for the network? Are we expecting a
classroom size, an entire village size, or an arbitrary scaling of nodes?
The only mention I found online (a press release-esque article about Intel)
was that .11s was intended for ~20 nodes.

Michael Burns
Network Engineering
Oregon State University