[OLPC Networking] Mesh network?

MBurns maburns at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 16:43:19 EDT 2006

On 9/6/06, Krishna Sankar (ksankar) <ksankar at cisco.com> wrote:

>         c)    The mesh (802.11s) will be implemented as a Layer1/L2
> artifact

Nice. This was what I was looking for. Does anyone know on how well/if at
all  802.11s is supported in the wild thus far? Is it something the OLPC
will be building into the networking stack from the ground up, or is the
heavy moving already done?

With regards to an Internet access. I assume that a laptop plugged in to,
say, a modem, or some type of wired connection would seemlessly
(auto-magically?) announce/forward that connection to other laptops on the
ad hoc mesh? Is the idea of 2 different laptops, each with 2 different
connections (1 broadband, 1 narrowband connection) both on the same mesh?
Would they both share connectivity, and if so, would we be providing metrics
to choose best route or load balancing?

Finally, will a laptop be able to be on a wireless LAN (802.11g network) and
also be able to share/relay that connection to other laptops (that might be
out of range of the .11g network). That is to say, can we virtualize our
wireless nic so as to be on two networks at once, etc.

Lots of questions and few answers, no doubt. But this is the place to ask.
:)
[/rant]

Michael Burns
Network Engineering