[OLPC Networking] Re: Proposal for the WLAN mesh routing

Andi andi at fliwatuet.net
Sun Dec 10 12:00:13 EST 2006

Hi list,

Ivan Krstić wrote:
> Andi wrote:
>> I have not found a "white paper" about the Marvell mesh protocol and its
>> in depth function principles.
>
> The mesh protocol is not Marvell's; it's an implementation of the
> 802.11s draft.

I have the following questions about the OLPC-Mesh-Networking
(I looked at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wireless and searched laptop.org,
but could not find any detailed information on the following topics):

1. Where can I get the current D1.0 802.11s draft PDF ?

2. If there is no current draft PDF available, my questions are in particular:

(a) I read that the 802.11s draft is designed for only up to 32 nodes.
Is that correct ? In urban/academic surroundings there will be need for
*much* more nodes. Are there any ideas how this design problem will be
solved ?

(b) In the public 802.11s draft details I could not find anything about
gateway descriptions.
How will the mesh-network know what node is a gateway-node ?
How will the mesh-network know what node is the fastest gateway and
what node is the most reliable gateway ?

(c) Are there any patents on 802.11s ?

(d) How settled is the current D1.0 802.11s draft ?
(e) Which parts are still "in flow", which parts are definite ?

Andi