[Nepal] thoughts on flash development

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Wed Jan 21 12:28:57 EST 2009

Hey guys, I met some really talented flash developers while I have been
here. All of them strongly recommended we use flex and flexbuilder to
develop our activities. We can abstract out a lot of standard UI
features as widgets that we can drag and drop into new activities using
Flexbuilder's Design mode.

Some advantages of Flex:
      * it's pure code so it's easy to version control
      * it is easy to reuse custom GUI components we create yourself
      * Easier internationalization
      * Libraries to bind w/ PHP apps like Moodle
      * Libraries for automated unit and gui testing

One guys, Sam Robbins, recommended we create individual animations in
CS3 Flash Pro and then import those .swf's into flexbuilder. At that
point we could easily add the navigation elements and bind them to the
animations.

These are just ideas and I will discuss them w/ u guys when I get back.
In the meantime I am reading "Flex 3 Programming" from O'Reilly and
working my way through some flex tutorials.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director