[Nepal] second and last update on xo updating (and a bit on the schoolserver)

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 23:56:12 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> Awesome! Has kafle documented the process for building a custom XO
> image?

Well, as I told before, I kinda took the building of the image out of
his hands, since it's all handled by pilgrim now. So that's on my
plate now. I'll do a full writeup on it today or tomorrow, and I'll
post something more readable on the blog.

> Why do we need to update the Schoolservers that are operating at Bashuki
> and Vishwamitra? AFAIK they don't have any data we need to protect.
>
> Are you just testing updating the server so we we can do it later in
> 2009? Now that's forward thinking!

Are you being a bit ironic here?

Actually there are a few reasons I see that seem quite reasonable.
First of all they are pilot schools, so we might as well use them as
such. They both got, what.., around 70 xo's. That's a perfect testing
ground to check how to best update activities and to test gabble for
example.

Updating the servers also means it just gets a lot easier to update
our activities. As I see it, once we tested this new NEXO build, we
might just as well update their XO's and with the new schoolserver in
place. This way we don't have to do the whole update dance we're doing
right now.

Also we want a way to update the schoolservers remotely. We should try
to do that with actual servers at the actual schools methinks, cause
that we will stumble upon problems that we wouldn't in our neat little
test-environments. This applies to a lot of other testing-areas as
well of course. Also I think it's good to let the interns do something
like this on a real-life site, to get a feeling for it. It helps us
concentrate better, cause our software is actually gonna be used for
real. Right now gabble doesn't work at all at the schoolsites I think.

Perhaps they're not all mega-valid in their own right, but together
they become super<blabla>. Could come up with a few more reasons if
you want. There are some still lingering in my morning brain.

> I look forward to testing out the new NEXO image. Pls post it somewhere
> along w/ a .md5 file so I can download and test it out.

Willdo.

/Ties