[Nepal] size of pngs compared to jpegs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Aug 15 06:07:08 EDT 2008

Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> Sameer Verma wrote:
>> I've noticed that in PNG, if the layer information is intact, it tends
>> to be large, but if you flatten the image (in GIMP, Image | Flatten
>> Image) that usually helps. Flattening may remove transparency, though.
>> Not sure if pngcrush is doing the same thing.
>
> Also, you might want to try saving the PNGs in 16bpp or even palette
> mapped 8bpp.

Additioanlly, converting jpegs to PNG is suboptimal.  The original
pictures saved in a lossless format (TIFF, BMP...) might have
compressed much better because they would not have been ruined by
the jpeg compression artifacts (aka "ants").

Where do the flipbook pages come from?

--
   \___/  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
  _| X |  Sugar Labs Team  - http://www.sugarlabs.org/