[Nepal] size of pngs compared to jpegs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Aug 15 06:01:03 EDT 2008

Sameer Verma wrote:
> Bryan Berry wrote:
>> Pradosh,
>>
>> I have compared the size of the Flipbook/ dir w/ pngs to the old one w/
>> jpegs.
>>
>> The dir w/ pngs totals 377 MB while the old one was only 340 MB.
>>
>> Did pngcrush not help that much?
>>

> I've noticed that in PNG, if the layer information is intact, it tends
> to be large, but if you flatten the image (in GIMP, Image | Flatten
> Image) that usually helps. Flattening may remove transparency, though.
> Not sure if pngcrush is doing the same thing.

Also, you might want to try saving the PNGs in 16bpp or even palette
mapped 8bpp.

Do not use the gimp for bulk image processing!  Use the wonderful
ImageMagick:

   convert foo.jpg -blah -blah foo.png

which can of course be scripted with a nice for loop:

   for i in `seq 1 100` ; do convert foo$i.jpg foo$i.png ; done

--
   \___/  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
  _| X |  Sugar Labs Team  - http://www.sugarlabs.org/