[Nepal] Traffic shaping on olerouter

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Aug 13 03:45:06 EDT 2008

Yesterday in the evening I experimented with shorewall's traffic shaper,
with uncertain results.  Unfortunately, I do not have much experience
with traffic shaping in general and Linux's tc subsystem specifically.

I estimated the network latency with pings and by typing on a remote
ssh session while Ties' computer was downloading a couple of files.

I did not see any noticeable improvement with the tc rules enabled.
On the contrary, the link speed from us to pustakalaya dropped to
128KB/s even though I had taken measures to avoid it.

I'll try again one of these days...

Here are my configuration files, in case someone spots an obvious
mistake:

--- BEGIN /etc/shorewall/tcdevices ---
#INTERFACE      IN-BANDWITH     OUT-BANDWIDTH
vlan93          10mbit          10mbit
eth1            100mbit         100mbit
--- END /etc/shorewall/tcdevices ---

--- BEGIN /etc/shorewall/tcclasses ---
#INTERFACE      MARK    RATE    CEIL    PRIORITY        OPTIONS
# Everything going to pustakalaya
vlan93          1       9mbit   full    10
# Low latency traffic
vlan93          2       120kbit 230kbit 20              tcp-ack,tos-minimize-delay
# Bulk traffic
vlan93          4       120kbit 250kbit 30              default
--- END /etc/shorewall/tcclasses ---

--- BEGIN /etc/shorewall/tcrules ---
#MARK   SOURCE          DEST            PROTO   DEST    SOURCE  USER    TEST    LENGTH  TOS
#                                               PORT(S) PORT(S)
1       -               202.63.240.86   all     -       -       -       -       -       -

2       -               -               tcp     ssh     -       -       -       -       -
2       -               -               tcp     imaps   -       -       -       -       -
2       -               -               tcp     imap    -       -       -       -       -
2       -               -               udp     smtp    -       -       -       -       -
2       -               -               tcp     smtps   -       -       -       -       -

--- BEGIN /etc/shorewall/tcrules ---

--
   \___/  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
  _| X |  Sugar Labs Team  - http://www.sugarlabs.org/