[Localization] [support-gang] Language in Write Activity

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Thu Jun 25 01:02:18 EDT 2015

On Jun 23, 2015 9:05 PM, "Nathan C. Riddle" <nathanr333 at charter.net> wrote:
> Would point out that XO-1 keyboard can be set to toggle between U.S. and
Arabic with alt gr-X  (multiply key).
> Have been doing this for U.S. / Spanish layouts.  Helps for learning for
English as second lanquage.

> For  /etc/sysconfig/keyboard :
> XKBLAYOUT="us,ara"
> XKBVARIANT="olpc,olpc"
>
> Note that SKU 7, 41, 118  were Arabic keyboards, but can not find .png
layout as for Spanish.

> Does XO-4 permit this ?

Clarification from NCR:

" [live] switching not possible on XO-4 with mechanical keyboard -- no
multiply / divide key   :(

Arabic alone still possible.    The keyboard layout is in
OLPC_Arabic_Keyboard  topic in below references.

For file  /etc/sysconfig/keyboard  edit lines to:

XKBLAYOUT="ara"
XKBVARIANT="olpc"

(tested with XO-1 13.2.4)