[Localization] [UKids] Write Activity Updates

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat Jul 18 18:29:57 EDT 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 18 Jul 2015, at 19:44, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
> >
> > Tim Moody who's away this week, strongly suspects there's an issue with
> the underlying OS not displaying Arabic characters correctly in the first
> place on these X-4O's, regardless of the Write activity.  Hopefully someone
> else can confirm, Sarah and her team by testing directly, confirmed by
> others familiar with how keyboard mapping works?
>
> Are these XO-4 laptop variants with touch screen hardware support?

Yes, according to the SKU312 line @
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Manufacturing_data#XO-4 , Thanks Gary.

If so the Maliit based onscreen keyboard [1] supports Arabic out of the
> box. You would just need to make sure Arabic is chosen as at least one of
> the languages in the Language Control Panel; restart Sugar; and trigger the
> on screen touch keyboard (usually by folding the laptop into tablet mode).

Sarah please try this on OS 13.2.2 and 13.2.5 both (from
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Releases) and let us know what works!

I’ve been out of the loop on the Write Activity development for a long time