[Localization] Internet-in-a-Box Language Preference <-> Browse on XO

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Thu Jul 18 16:36:35 EDT 2013

CJL & All, plz see email below Braddock Gaskill requests I forward. A
specific example would be XOs in Haiti are commonly set to French, Creole
and English, depending on the teacher.  While the XO's entire language is
not changed commonly, it does happen, and it'd certainly make things simple
if Sugar's language setting was inherited by Browse, as well as detected by
the IIAB server?  Or is there a better way?!

We are adding translations into several languages for the
Internet-in-a-Box project (http://internet-in-a-box.org) for use with
XOs and the School Server project.  It presents a web interface to the
user (a WSGI app running under Apache).

We need to know the correct way to detect a user's language
preferences.  We currently look at the browser's Accept-Language
request header.

Is the Accept-Language header properly set on an XO to reflect the
language preference of the user?  Is this the best way to do language
selection for XO users?

Thanks,
Braddock Gaskill
Internet-in-a-Box Project