[Localization] Wikikids/Vikidia, encyclopedia for children

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 16:35:26 EDT 2013

Up until now, we've been maintaining our own subsets of wikipedia for kids
in different languages. See [1-n]. +1 to having someone else (your team)
curating.

-walter

[1] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4535 (pl)
[2] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4536 (qu)
[3] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4540 (fr)
[4] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4631 (pt)
[5] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4632 (hi)
[6] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4401 (es)
[7] http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4411 (en)

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Mathias Damour
<mathias.damour at laposte.net>wrote:

> I wanted to speak about Wikikids/Vikidia, which are encyclopedia for
> children on the Wikipedia model.
>
> 2 of them are doing well: French (14000 articles) and Dutch (13000
> articles)
> There is a Vikidia in Spanish as well, that doesn't work so well.
>
> See: http://meta.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Wikikids<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikids>which gives all the links and explanations.
> Moreover, it is the proposal for it to be adopted as a Wikimedia project.
> I think it can be a significant resource for children, since we can
> consider that Wikipedia often is too difficult for children.
>
> Did you know it ? Do you have any question, suggestions on that project ?
>
> Now we need people for feedback, and help, feel free to join or forward
> this message to people that might be interested !
>
> --
> Mathias Damour
> 49 rue Carnot
> F-74000 Annecy