[Localization] Which application do you use for translating?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed May 2 13:39:56 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 01:29:58PM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 04:18:14PM +0100, Eduardo H. Silva wrote:
> >> Which programs do other translators use for translating?
> >>
> >> I've looked at Virtaal, and it says that when editing a .PO file, it
> >> replaces the translator's name in the PO file with your own. If so,
> >> how do you handle the fact when many translators may have worked in
> >> the same file?
> >
> > It appends your name to translator's list in the header, just like
> > Pootle does (both are developed by translate.org.za).
>
> Khaled,
>
> Eduardo may be right, I've been meaning to look more closely at the
> issue of "translator credits" and Virtaal / Poolte.
>
> I know they both change the "Last-Translator:" line of the PO file
> header, but that is not a persistent change, it changes again when the
> PO file is next modified by someone else.  I am not sure that either
> of these tools maintain a persistent set of cumulative translator
> credits in the PO file itself, although obviously Pootle records and
> displays the Pootle username of the top 5 translators in the UI.

The "Last-Translator:" is, as the name suggests, the lat person who
changed the translations in the file. If you look into the header of any
PO file, you will see something like:

# FOO translations for BAR package.
# Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Listed translators
# This file is distributed under the same license as the BAR package.
#
# Foo Bar <foo at example.org>, 2009.
# Oof Rab <oof at elpmaxe.org>, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011.

Almost all PO editors append translator names to this header (or new
years to existing names). This is where the record of all translators
who worked on that file is kept.

Regards,
 Khaled