[Localization] Which application do you use for translating?

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:29:58 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 04:18:14PM +0100, Eduardo H. Silva wrote:
>> Which programs do other translators use for translating?
>>
>> I've looked at Virtaal, and it says that when editing a .PO file, it
>> replaces the translator's name in the PO file with your own. If so,
>> how do you handle the fact when many translators may have worked in
>> the same file?
>
> It appends your name to translator's list in the header, just like
> Pootle does (both are developed by translate.org.za).

Khaled,

Eduardo may be right, I've been meaning to look more closely at the
issue of "translator credits" and Virtaal / Poolte.

I know they both change the "Last-Translator:" line of the PO file
header, but that is not a persistent change, it changes again when the
PO file is next modified by someone else.  I am not sure that either
of these tools maintain a persistent set of cumulative translator
credits in the PO file itself, although obviously Pootle records and
displays the Pootle username of the top 5 translators in the UI.

I'll ask the translate.za.org folks about this and let you know what I find out.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator