[Localization] Glucose URGENT

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Mar 14 18:14:10 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 05:20:36PM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
> > Hi Chris:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 01:45:29PM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> >> Dear Localizers and Developers,
> >>
> >> The Glucose 0.95 development cycle is nearing it's completion with the
> >> release of Glucose 0.96 planned by the end of March.
> >>
> >> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.96/Roadmap
> >>
> >> We have a number of languages that are complete and many more that are
> >> in need of a little more work to finish them off.
> >>
> >> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/glucose/
> >
> > While updating the Arabic translation I noticed that we now have an
> > "ar_SY" translation (that is less complete that the "ar" one), and I
> > think it should be removed since both are using Standard Arabic so the
> > duplication will lead to inconsistent user experience (and less complete
> > translation) for users running under a "ar_SY" locale than users running
> > other Arabic locales.
> >
> > Regards,
> >  Khaled
>
> Khaled,
>
> This project was inherited from my predecessors; however, given your
> well known work in the field of Arabic FOSS  L10n and contributions to
> Sugar and AbiWord RTL handling, I am inclined to take your advice.  In
> the absence of a strong counter-argument, I will remove the ar-SY
> variant from Pootle in the next few days.  Do you think there are any
> strings present there that you will want to harvest before I remove
> it?

The "ar" translation is more complete than the "ar_SY" one so I don't
think there will be much to copy, but anyway I toke a copy of the
existing translation to compare it more throughly later and see if there
is anything that can be merged back, so I think it is safe to delete it
now.

Regards,
 Khaled