[Localization] Glucose 0.96 branching

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:35:28 EDT 2012

Dear Localizers,

The Sugar 0.96.3 release has been made and there should
(theoretically) not be any more changes to the Sugar 0.96 release
series.  Further development will begin on the Glucose master branch
for the Sugar 0.97 development cycle that will culminate in the Sugar
0.98 release (months and months from now).

In cooperation with the release manager (Simon), new branches have
been set up in git and Pootle has been modified to match this
structure.

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/glucose96/

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/glucose/

Significant changes to be aware of:

The sugar-toolkit (which supports GTK2) is going to go away as we
transition to GTK3.

sugar-toolkit-gtk3 will remain and has mostly the same strings as
sugar-toolkit, but, of course, those may change some during the
upcoming development cycle.  All existing already-translated strings
have been migrated.

sugar-base (which only has 5 words) will go away because it has been
rolled into sugar-toolkit-gtk3.  Please take a look at your older
Glucose projects and copy those sugar-base strings over into
sugar-toolkit-gtk3.  I will try to do this as I have time, but in case
you get there before me, that is the easy way to handle this.

Please DO continue translating Glucose 0.96 (in parallel with
Glucose).  It will take some time for these two sets of strings to
diverge significantly and as the Glucose 0.96 release is brand-new and
is the basis for the upcoming OLPC 12.x build and may very well remain
in use in the field for several years, we still want to work on
getting it complete.  New translation work will be included if someone
makes a custom OS image including that language and can also be
layered onto an existing build with language packs.

As development releases eventually get made during the 0.97>0.98
cycle, they will use the strings from Glucose, but that may be a
while, so please continue to focus on translating Glucose 0.96 for the
time being (the same string is probably also in Glucose, so try
working in parallel).

Regards,

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator