[Localization] Urgent message to all Sugar language admins

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 03:21:41 EDT 2011

Dear Language Admins,

The string freeze is rapidly coming to an end, there are only a few
days left before release bundles need to be finalized.

All language admins volunteered to take care of committing PO files
for their languages and I want to remind all of you that now is the
time to perform that important duty.

It is vastly preferred that a native speaker be the one to commit the
PO files for a language, but at the same time, we will not let the
work of other localizers remain unused in a new build if the
lang-admin does not perform their obligation to commit on a timely
basis.

We have some new ways to keep track of the commit status of languages,
for instance, the pootle-commits list

shows many recent commits in Spanish, French, German, Danish, Nepali,
but not a lot in other languages.

I urge all language admins to perform their primary obligation to
their team, which is to commit the PO files during the string freeze
period.  You cannot break things by recommitting a file that has
already been committed (although you may get an obscure error
message), so please be systematic about going through your language's
projects and committing the PO files.  Incomplete PO files are better
than no PO files at all.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator