[Localization] [Sugar-devel] [Analyze]: what is translatable in "<Buddy %(path)s>. ..."

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 19:05:59 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 6:04 PM, samy boutayeb <s.boutayeb at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> In the activity Analyze, I wanted to localize a few mixed strings, where
> it is difficult to decide where is the translatable text and the
> untranslatable variable.
>
> For instance, in [1]:
>
>  Calling <Buddy %s>.GetJoinedActivities()
>
> or in [2]:
>
>  <Buddy %(path)s>.GetProperties() -> %(props)r
>
> My guess is that in [1] one should translate "Calling" and "Buddy", and
> in [2], one should only translate "Buddy".
>
> could someone confirm what is translatable in those strings?

Samy,

The context in code is fairly easy to look up in git by using the
location string as a reference can often shed some light on strings
like this:

>From the location string:

/home/garycmartin/Activities/Analyze.activity/ps_watcher.py:261

 Calling <Buddy %s>.GetJoinedActivities()
http://git.sugarlabs.org/analyze/mainline/blobs/master/ps_watcher.py#line261

 <Buddy %(path)s>.GetProperties() -> %(props)r
http://git.sugarlabs.org/analyze/mainline/blobs/master/ps_watcher.py#line370

I'm not really a Python programmer, but I think your interpretation is
correct from the overall context surrounding those lines, take a look
and judge for yourself.