[Localization] [Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] 0.94 schedule update: still on track

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 09:56:12 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:30 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> On 09/13/2011 11:03 PM, Markus Schlager wrote:
>>
>> Hi Simon,
>
> Thanks Markus for the feedback,
>
>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>
>>> There have been one interesting string change in the last week: there
>>> are two entries in the sugar.po that translate the same string
>>> ('Remove') but where the context is different. This has been marked
>>> now using pgettext. Chris has pulled that change to Pootle and all
>>> langs sugar.po have been refreshed. An example can be seen at [3][4].
>>> Please give feedback if that addition was helpful to do a better
>>> translation or if anything can be improved.
>>
>> Context-information is great for translation. In this example, 'volume'
>> as hint was not particularly helpful to me, since this has at least two
>> very different meanings in German. 'clipboard' on the other hand was
>> clear anyway since the source-hint says something about clipboard-menu.
>
> Maybe the text should be more verbose. How about: 'remove item from
> clipboard' and 'eject the external device'
>
>> One type of content-information I'd appreciate a lot would be about the
>> function/type of text this is: Is it e.g. a button lable, a menu entry,
>> a help text, ...
>
> How would that be done, as well with msgctxt using pgettext? Or are there
> other ways? In general that would be a bigger effort and would need to
> define a few guidelines for that but can be done of course if the translator
> community thinks this would help a lot.

Simon,

Developer's comments can be inserted in the code itself and are
extracted by gettext and displayed in the PO file in a manner that
does not disrupt translation.

	# TRANS:  Developer comment

in the code ends up in PO file as

#. Developer comment

and is displayed prominently.

Live examples of this can be seen in TamTam Suite (as one example)
where we've inserted extensive developer's comments (including wiki
links) describing the instruments tooltips.  More specific reference
to lines in git can be given if needed.