[Localization] Polish L10n

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue May 31 12:16:11 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM, jamarat <jamarat at o2.pl> wrote:
> Dear Chris,
>
> I have couple questions:
>
> You answered my unspoken question about migrating translated
>  phrases across multiple po files. Does transfer (you did) moves
> phrases across Glucose and Glucose-xx files only or you move
> phrases into other po files automatically i.e. Glucose->eToys etc?

Transfer of strings in not entirely automatic (except when new
versions are created).  In some cases, there is very high string
conservation (e.g. Glucose / Glucose 0.92) and via the backend I can
upload the sugar.po file from one to the other and then do an "update
from templates" to correct the divergences between the two versions.
This typically still leaves a few strings to finish off.

> What Glucose/Fructose po file version should we work on (Glucose, Glucose
> 0.84, Glucose 0.92)?

The answer to that really depends.  OLPC releases in the field are
currently based on Sugar 0.84 and so sometime backfilling L10n efforts
in a given language might be important, but the upcoming deployment
oriented OLPC release 11.2.0 will be based on Sugar 0.92.  You will
see some languages have 0.82 release L10n, but they are pretty much
deprecated at this time and we are not encouraging new work on those
versions.

Glucose and Fructose without numbers are the most current versions and
they may well be the versions used in Sugar on a Stick (as well as
forward going efforts) so it is good to localize these.  Many strings
are conserved across projects, so I would pick one version to work on
and later backfill others with copy/paste and later clean up any
remaining strings.

Honey activities are not versioned in Pootle and do not follow the
same freeze-release cycle as Glucose/Fructose, so localizing them is
good at any time.

> Does Sugar (as the name of the system) is used accross all languages? I
> consider using localized name (i.e. "Cukier" or "Dropsy"), a lot of people
> here takes care about not using English names/language where it is not
> absolutely necessary. Especially for kids education. Is so, is there a way
> to exchange the graphical Sugar splashscreen?

There are two parts to this, first localizing the word "Sugar" in UI
strings is often done, for instance in Spanish (our largest deployment
language) translates it as "Azúcar".

On the second point, I'm not entirely sure about the splashscreen
question, but there are two possible issues.  One, if you are talking
about the Sugar Labs logo, Sugar Labs has a completely understandable
interest in maintaining a consistent international "brand identity" so
you might want to ask about that part of it on the marketing mailing
list.  As for the technical question of how to make any such change
appear, you should ask on sugar-devel mailing list.

> Is there any way to test immediately translation quality installing
> translation files into my desktop system (without waiting for development
> cycle to complete)?

There are a few approaches described here (although this page probably
needs updating.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization/Testing

I'm not sure if language pack builds are still happening, I'll have to
look into that further.

> I introduced myself to the list, awaitng for confirmation. If you recommend
> asking for admin privileges I will.

I would recommend asking for Polish language admin privs.  I think we
have only one lang-pl admin and I don't think they have been active
recently.  Having a lang admin review and commit the PO files to the
repo is a critical stage of closing the L10n loop and getting the work
into the builds.

> Best Regards,
> Jakub Ratajczak

Warmest Regards,

cjl
volunteer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle admin