[Localization] Language admin for Indonesia?

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Tue Mar 29 00:46:01 EDT 2011

I have this from a group working in West Papua (contact hennyyap at gmail.com)

Hello all,

my name is Henny, Jeremy's PhD student.

I'd suggest Arief to contact Sampoerna Foundation Teacher Institute (SFTI) and Muhammadiyah because in January I met with some people from these organisations and we had a chat about OLPC Indonesia.

SFTI is an organisation that is experienced in providing teacher professional development programs in Indonesia, including in remote schools. The staff have the knowledge, experience and database needed to run OLPC Indonesia.

Muhammadiyah is a very influential organisation in Indonesia and they have schools all over the country. They tried One Child One Laptop project a few years ago but the project was dropped because the tax to get the laptops into the country was too high.

A few things came up from the meeting:

1. Both organisations are keen to be involved and both have the capacity to run it. A collaboration is possible.

2. We will need an NGO formed in order to get sponsorship.

3. If we can get more than 1000 laptops, there is a possibility that Muhammadiyah can approach the ministry to get tax leniency.

4. The University of Sunshine Coast planned to deploy XO laptops in West Papua and we are waiting to hear from them about the issues surrounding the deployment.
I have not checked this yet but if I remember correctly, if the laptops are given as a gift (hibah) they would not be taxed.

5. An MoU can be made between the organisations/NGO with research organisations e.g. universities regarding professional development, content building, deployment, evaluation, etc.

No move has been made to start OLPC Indonesia but we have people who are experienced, able and keen. I would think sponsorship is not a problem once the NGO is formed as there are quite a few companies who are interested in Indonesia, especially in education.

If Arief can contact me then I'll give him the contacts of the organisations mentioned above.

Cheers,
Henny

David Leeming
Solomon Islands Rural Link