[Localization] 5 principles in Greek

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 22:32:42 EST 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Stathis Iosifidis (aka diamond_gr) <
diamond_gr at freemail.gr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the list and to the OLPC project.
> I started translating the wiki into Greek.
> My very first page is the principles:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Core_principles/lang-el
>
> Can someone point me some pages that must be translated first?
> Thanks
> Stathis

Stathis,

Welcome to the Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys localization community.  We are
quite blessed with a very active Greek localization team and so there may be
very few software strings left to complete, but our software localization is
done in Pootle here:
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/el/

The following w.l.o pages are fairly static and likely worth translating as
they provide important entry point information.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:Contact_us

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Communication_channels

This page could actually use an English translation from the original Greek:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Greece

You might want to look at the "ONE LAPTOP PER CHILD & SUGAR" section of this
page:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/
A few of these e-books have been translated into Greek, but not all.

In some sense, the Human Interface Guidelines are the embodiment of the Five
Principles in software design, and these pages on the Sugar Labs wiki are
also fairly static:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Donate

This page mentions some upstream projects that could benefit from some
"downstream love", you might want to look at the projects linked there.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Pootle_Projects

For instance, some work can be contributed to Scratch in Greek:
http://translate.scratch.mit.edu/el/

There are a number of worthy FOSS packages hosted by the Pootle team itself,
it looks like most of them have not been localized into Greek:

http://pootle.locamotion.org/

GNOME (extra applications) could still use some Greek work done, this would
benefit XO users as newer builds are dual boot in either Sugar or Gnome.
http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/el/gnome-extras/ui/

I would say the most important thing to do would be to contact the Greek
deployment and see what they see as the most critical L10n work tha needs to
be done from their point of view.

I hope that gets you started.

Warmest Regards,