[Localization] Introduction

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 01:53:15 EDT 2011

On Saturday 04 Jun 2011 7:37:58 AM Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> An issue I saw was the decision between literal translations versus the
> adaptation of terms in their original language.
My own preference is to translate the intent rather than the language. Etoys
makes heavy use of stage play metaphors in its construction so it is important
to ensure that terms like Player, Costume, Script, World etc. are mapped into
common stage play terms in local culture.

For instance, the word 'graphic' could translate as 'painting' in some
contexts and 'mask' or 'costume' in others. The button 'keep' could translate
to something that means 'make a actor who wears this painting as a costume'.

Subbu