[Localization] Fwd: localization status in Indian languages

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:58:37 EDT 2011

Oops, missed sending to the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Localization] localization status in Indian languages
To: Nagarjuna G <nagarjun at gnowgi.org>

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Nagarjuna G <nagarjun at gnowgi.org> wrote:
> This is to know the people who are working in localization of Sugar
> Platform into Indian Languages.
>
> Like last year we (the team at gnowledge.org lab In Mumbai in India)
> will be working with
> schools in India promoting Sugar Platform.  Every week we go to two
> village schools, one the Khairat school and the other a middle close
> by.  We go to the villages two times a week.
>
> As soon as possible, we would like to finish localization of Sugar
> Platform for at least the most popular applications first in Hindi and
> Marathi.  Do you know who is coordinating these activities now.  I
> will also check the pootle site in a while,
> but thought it is good to know who are currently working on it.

Welcome to our localization community.  I see you've already received
warm welcomes from other contributors.  While we do need more work on
our Sugar strings, it is also worth noting that new OLPC builds are
dual boot in Sugar and GNOME, so work on the upstream is also welcome
as the strings flow down to us.

See links below for more information,

Hindi- lang admin: satyaakam (he's already replied to the list)
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/hi/

Important GNOME upstream - Hindi
http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/hi/olpc/ui/

Marathi lang admins: swapnil, sayamindu, sandeeps (Haven't been active
recently, but based on his good work, ganesh might be a good candidate
if he's interested)
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/mr/

Important GNOME upstream - Marathi
http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/mr/olpc/ui/

General explanation of Pootle projects:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Pootle_Projects

If you have (or can recruit) speakers of any of these other languages,
that would be great as well.

Bengali
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/bn/

Bengali (India)
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/bn_IN/

Gujarati
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/gu/

Kannada
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/kn/

Malayalam
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ml/

Nepali
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ne/

Punjabi
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/pa/

Sanskrit
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/sa/

Sindhi
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/sd/

Sinhala
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/si/

Tamil
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ta/

Telugu
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/te/

Urdu
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ur/

cjl
volunteer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Poolte admin