[Localization] localization status in Indian languages

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Wed Jul 20 10:02:08 EDT 2011

On Wed, July 20, 2011 9:36 am, Nagarjuna G wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:58 PM,  <mokurai at earthtreasury.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, July 20, 2011 8:37 am, satyaakam goswami wrote:
>>> here  it is  http://translate.sugarlabs.org/hi/ we did it last year in
>>> one
>>> go . now due to lack of time and motivation  unable to keep it up to
>>> date
>>> ,
>>> do you have something on your mind to get this done .
>>
>> For my own personal motivation, I get to be Santa Claus, making presents
>> for millions of children every day. I do not know what a cultural
>> equivalent in Hinduism or other religions common in India would be, but
>> am certain that we can find something. ^_^
>>
>> Creating learning materials and localizing them have a huge payback, in
>> terms of value for children and thus for society per unit of effort. I
>> have found it helpful in past projects to ask audiences at presentations
>> how much a particular project for children was worth to them, resulting
>> in
>> substantial donations of time and money.
>>

> precisely.  Initially I will start with teachers.  I interact with ten
> Marathi teachers every week.  I would like to ask them to contribute.
> I will ask them to adopt at least one po file to each teacher.  And in
> our institute, we have several marathi and hindi speaking people,
> often other languages as well.  the idea is to find more volunteers.

Well said. Do you have contact with University students in teaching,
language, or the subject matter? They would be ideal for the purpose.
There are also networks of localizers associated with the various Linux
distributions for India.

--
Edward Mokurai
(默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر