[Localization] [Sur] TamTam activity Spanish locales

Alexandro Colorado jza at openoffice.org
Sat Jul 2 00:44:43 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Chris,
>
> Yes that makes sense, as long as the terms chosen in English are standard
> ones that would be recognized by musicians anywhere. If students are going
> to learn names of instruments, they might as well be "real" names.  There is
> no need to "teach down" to children.  Any child is a potential serious
> musician and, certainly (we hope) a future "consumer" of music.  If they
> learn some non-standard local term they will probably need to learn the
> correct term eventually. If education is our objective, start with the real
> stuff and add the other later if you like.
>
> So, I might suggest a compromise. Use the standard term a musician would
> use in the local language (example *violin* in English = *violine* in
> German = バイオリン (pronounced "*violin*") in Japanese = *violín* in
> Spansih.... etc).  So, what is a "fiddle"  it is an English word for a *
> violin* played in a particular style.  It is still a *violin*.  For local
> folk instruments such as the quena  call it a quena, but you can add a
> description that it is a "flute-like instrument originating in the music of
> the Andes".  Similarly, call a churrango a churango, but describe it as a
> string instrument used in Andean music that is similar to a mandolin,
> (adding that it is sometimes made from an armadillo shell instead of wood
> and is tuned differently).  Etc...

the issue is when is folk english, like I mentioned with the Crash, Slap and
the Chimes. Whcih could be easily confused with non-musical use of those
words and get lost in translation.

> A good music dictionary would be helpful for some of this. The Harvard
> Dictionary of Music was the "gold standard" for this when I majored in music
> at UCLA way back in the 1950s.  It is still top rated. I don't know how many
> folk instruments from other countries will be found there, but in general,
> you couldn't go wrong with it for anything it does cover. I notice from the
> sample pages that terms from several languages are included:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Harvard-Dictionary-University-Reference-Library/dp/0674011635/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309578130&sr=1-1

Which is my point on having something like that for spanish.

> [...]
> > Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:15:29 -0400
> > Subject: Re: [Localization] [Sur] TamTam activity Spanish locales
> > To: jza at openoffice.org
> > CC: cbigenho at hotmail.com; localization at lists.laptop.org;
> dirakx at gmail.com; olpc-sur at lists.laptop.org
>

> > Caryl,
> >
> > You may not have seen my reply to Alexandro (posted to the L10n list),
> >
> > See the link below to get the spreadheet attachment of the proposed
> > developers comments attachment:
> >
> > http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/2011-June/003003.html
> >
> > I have a different take on improving i18n of instrument names.
> > Italian names may be a standard of practice among trained musicians,
> > but I think that is not a standard we want to impose on locaizers.
> >
> > My idea is to provide links to the English Wikipedia page (where
> > available). Localizers are presumed to be able to read and understand
> > English (as the base language of the PO files), at least enough to get
> > a better idea of the instrument name in question from the pictures..
> > From the English wikipedia page, cross-wiki links to matching articles
> > in other language wikis can be followed from the left hand menu bar.
> > In this way, even a non-fluent language speaker can probably figure
> > out the proper local instrument name from the context / title of the
> > other language wiki page.
> >
> > If there is no matching article in your language's wikipedia version,
> > this is an opportunity to enhance that wiki by adding an article by
> > localizing and adapting the English version. This approach has the
> > further benefit of driving contributions to the upstream wiki on
> > musical instruments which can flow back down in the form of a better
> > native language wikislice being developed as a content bundle for
> > music education enhancement, also leveraging the other contributors to
> > that language's wiki.
> >
> > Does that approach make sense to you?
> >
> > cjl
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza at openoffice.org>
> wrote:

> point
> While
> terms as
> everywhere
> overlap
> the
> Pipes" as
> "Zamponia"
> > >
> > > That is also a practice I have gone through many times to fix terms,
> however
> > > I think the main point is that at least for the spanish project, we do
> need
> > > good sources of musical instrument enciclopedias (wikipedia is very
> basic).
> > > And stop doing literal translations of some of the things.
> > > If we have good web collections of musicakl instruments it would be
> easier
> > > to get the lingo right for the music "subject".
> > > Music sound might be universal language, music instrument naming

*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español
http://es.openoffice.org