[Localization] Language leader board

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 11:18:33 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM, K. K. Subramaniam <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Friday 11 Feb 2011 7:46:11 pm Chris Leonard wrote:
>
> > One way to handle those strings quickly is to jsut press the "Copy" key,
> > that is the secret of the high rate of Englsih and English(US)
> > "translation".  They will show in the review tab as "unchanged", but it
> > will count as "translated.
> As you rightly point out, the resulting bloat can lead to increased
> download
> time, bandwidth cost and memory footprint for innocent consumers. All this
> just to go up a couple of notches in rank? I won't take the bait ;-).

In spite of my posting in fun (as a motivational measure), I firmly believe
the purpose of Pootle statistics is to be able to track progress., not to
"keep score".  There should be some solution that allows for maintenance of
metrics (the lifeblood of any proper project management effort) without the
unintended consequences of L10n bloat.  Poolte has the ability to recognize
"unchanged" strings, there is no reason that could not be further leveraged
to generate minimalist changesets for localization.  Sounds like something
worth taking up with the folks on hte Poolte Developers list.