[Localization] Language leader board

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 09:16:11 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 12:17 AM, K. K. Subramaniam <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Friday 11 Feb 2011 9:46:13 am Chris Leonard wrote:
> > Just for fun (and to get the competitive localization juices
> > flowing),  here are the total number of words translated in each language
> > listed on the Pootle server.
> Not all statements need translations. For instance, in Etoys/Kannada, I had
> leave many programming related messages in English itself because the
> target
> audience for these messages will be bilingual. The juice is not worth the
> squeeze ;-)
>
> FYI .. Subbu

Subbu,

One way to handle those strings quickly is to jsut press the "Copy" key,
that is the secret of the high rate of Englsih and English(US)
"translation".  They will show in the review tab as "unchanged", but it will
count as "translated.

An important issue that needs to be pursued further is whether this leads to
bloat in the language packs.  I know that the build developers have been
trimming back on languages included in builds by default in order to save
space.  We would not want to make that problem worse.