[Localization] [Gnash-dev] i18n query

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 01:57:53 EDT 2011

cc:ed to the Sugar Labs / OLPC L10n list for the benefit of localizers
working on gnash.po via the "unofficial" copies hosted at:

 http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/upstream_POT/

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Benjamin Wolsey <bwy at benjaminwolsey.de>wrote:

> > be translated (in Spanish) as
> >
> > Date.Set%sMinutes necesita un argumento
> >
> > or should the time unit be localized to
> >
> > Date.Set%sMinutos necesita un argumento
>
> The former. The %s is a placeholder for "UTC", because the same function
> template handles both Date.setUTCMinutes and Date.setMinutes.

Thank you for the rapid response and clarification.  I would strongly
encourage any localizer working on the Gnash PO file to use Virtaal and work
on a downloaded PO file because (for reasons I don't pretend to understand),
it seems that a great many obscure debugging strings are already present in
Virtaal's translation memory (at least for Spanish, but I would assume for
other langs as well), allowing many strings to be completed with just a few
mouse clicks and some careful attention to detail as some are close, but not
exact, matches.

Virtaal (from the fine folks who maintain the Translate Toolkit and Pootle)

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/index

I'm making good progress on completing the Spanish L10n of Gnash in this
manner and have seen that someone has started work on Arabic.  When a PO is
complete on our Pootle server, we'll file it upstream via your usual
processes.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Upstream_localization#Gnash

> > There is one string that is somewhat inconsistent with the pattern of
> > the others and may be an i18n error.
>
> > libcore/asobj/Date_as.cpp:1167
> > Date.setMilliseconds was called with more than one argument
> >
> > does not have an embedded %s variable. Should it?
>
> Yes, that's a bug in the format string.
>
> > Thank you for your attention to this matter.  I am asking on the list
> > rather than filing a bug because I am not sure it is a bug.
>
> Thanks for your attention to detail!

You're welcome.  I will keep an eye on the upstream POT file and refresh our
template (and projects) when this bug has been corrected.  Benjamin, if I
could please trouble you to file that bug for me, I'm having trouble logging
on to Savannah  (too many accounts on to many repos),

Warmest Regards,

cjl
volunteer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle admin