[Localization] 11.2.0 and upstream L10n

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 15:01:56 EDT 2011

As I mentioned in an earlier email,

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/2011-March/002863.html

OLPC is planning an 11.2.0 build for release in June.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/11.2.0/Release_plan

The following deployment-oriented languages will be included by default:

English (US)
Spanish
Arabic
Portuguese
Portuguese (Brazil)
French
Haitian; Haitian Creole
Mongolian
Marathi
Amharic
Khmer
Nepali
Urdu
Kinyarwanda
Pashto
Dari
Sinhala
Chinese (China)
German

I have created "tracking ticket" dummy PO files for these languages in the
Upstream L10n project for GNOME modules.  There may be other upstream L10n
bits added later (e.g. Fedora, etc.).

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/upstream_l10n/

I've also gone through and reviewed the status of the upstream projects and
noted where they are Complete as well as where they are "Not Available".

"Not Available" may be for one of two reasons.

1) The upstream module has not yet generated a GNOME 3.0 branch.  A number
of GNOME modules are still string frozen from the 3.0 release and that
string set is still called "master".

2) The module/branch exists, but the language in question has not started
work on it.  A request would need to be made through the upstream language
team to establish these PO files on their localization server.

Not Available annotations are marked "fuzzy" so that they still show as
needing work.  Only Completed notes are flagged as "translated" (without the
fuzzy flag).  This gives a quick dashboard view of upstream L10n completion
status (by module/branch).

If there is no annotation (untranslated string), the upstream module/branch
project exists, but is incomplete.  If you complete the upstream PO, please
update the relevant tracking string.

If you are a language administrator for one of the languages above, we are
nearing the June release date of 11.2.0 and it would be good to begin
reviewing and committing the Glucose 0.92 / Fructose 0.92 branches, as well
as OLPC Software and a lot of Honey activities.  This way, the localization
can be tested in the later builds of this development cycle.  If you are a
translator in one of these languages that is completed on our server,
consider identifying upstream L10n bits to work on, using the upstream's
regular workflows.

volunteer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle admin