[Localization] Upstream localization tracking

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 23:49:20 EDT 2011

Dear Translation Team members,

Current OLPC builds are dual boot in Sugar and GNOME UIs.  The UI strings of
the GNOME boot are localized upstream and pulled down during the build
process.  There may also be UI strings that come from the Fedora upstream
project.  In addition, there are a number of activities that have been
ported from upstream development to run in Sugar.  This makes it important
to track the status of upstream localization bits.  If they are not
complete, it would be very useful to have good documentation available on
how to find and localize those strings.

I have started experimenting with using dummy POT files in a new project on
Pootle called "Upstream L10n" that serve the function of a "tracking
ticket".  These PO files contain a link to the upstream localization hosting
and can be used to record the status of the upstream L10n effort in a manner
that should provide a nice graphical dashboard of upstream L10n status.

I will be producing more extensive documentation of this experiment on the
wiki over time, but on the principle of "release early", I've decided to
begin a small scale experiment with a few languages that can be easily
expanded if this proves useful.  I just wanted to explain the sudden
appearance of a new project on Pootle and ask you to bear with me as I flesh
out this experiment.

Warmest Regards,