[Localization] [ANNOUNCE] Sugar 0.88 release --- status update

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Mar 22 11:47:56 EDT 2010

Hi,

we are 10 days away from the 0.88 release [1]! We are currently in Hard
Code Freeze, which means that no source code changes can be made without
approval from the release-team. Translation and documentation can
continue [2]. See as well [2], on how to request an exception for your
show stopper. The hard code freeze ends by March the 29th when the 0.88
tarballs are due.

If your fix is not a show stopper but fixes a critical issue, it has
good chances to go into the upcoming bug fix release April the 28th. All
the other fixes will be moved to 0.90. We will branch directly after the
0.88 release, so development can continue and Features, enhancements and
invasive fixes that we moved out can be landed early in the cycle to not
be forgotten.

What needs to happen in the upcoming week:

=== Testing ===
I have gathered some testing plans at [3]. There are instructions on how
to get the latest Soas build and put it on stick, and how you can test
the latest 0.88 packages on Ubuntu Karmic. Testers are encouraged to
leave notes at the wiki page, so we know what has already been tested
and what failed. I will send out a daily report now with these results.
Of course the bug tracker should be used to report back the findings
when testing bugs, too.

So we need help in testing and if people step up to coordinate testing
and helps to gather test cases etc that would be awesome!

=== Bugfix, Review ===
The bugs that are found need to be fixed if possible, reviewed by the
module maintainers and finally landed.

=== Release Notes ===
The 0.88 Release Notes needs to be finished [4].

=== Localization ===
There is good progress by the localization teams in translating the 0.88
release. Especially "New-String-Rich" is the 3G Feature, would be nice
if we get it 100% translated by next week. @Language Team Heads: Please
make sure to push your translations by Monday the 29th of March, so they
get included in the tarball. Of course translations after this date will
be included in the 0.88.1 Bugfix Release.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.88/Roadmap#Schedule
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release#Hard_code_freeze