[Localization] [etoys-dev] Sugar release and new Etoys translations

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 09:42:56 EST 2010

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 03:32:35 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Err, the point is these entries should not be translated.
>
> E.g., "Language-Name" should be "Hindi" in Hindi script, CJL suggested
> हिन्दी or हिंदी. This is how the language name will appear in the language
> menu - the comments are not stellar but they do say that specifically.
My misunderstanding, Sorry. I would have expected meta-data like language
names or fonts to be built into the application (locale support library to be
specific) rather than pulled from a po file. In any case, the preferred display
name would be "Hindi (हिन्दी)". This allows readers to know which language is
involved when a proper font or rendering engine is missing on the host.

> The other entries should be left empty, unless you need to set them
> specifically to make it work. E.g. Linux-Font should be left empty, or the
> name of a specific font name to use. Better leave empty.
I would say leave it out for now. There are multiple rendering engines on
Linux and it is best to pull supported fonts at run-time.

Subbu