[Localization] Fwd: Gtranslator on the xo

Sebastian Silva sebastian at sebastian.cl
Thu Jun 10 11:16:39 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
Date: 2010/6/10
Subject: Re: [Localization] Gtranslator on the xo
To: localization at lists.laptop.org
Cc: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>, Caryl Bigenho <
caryl at laptop.org>, bernie.codewiz at gmail.com, s.boutayeb at free.fr

Hello everybody,
We are finally about to start a translation event here in PUNO,
high in the Andes Mountains, in front of the Titicaca lake.

Our plan is to work on a Glossary with the most common terms,
then distribute printed lists of strings so that people can focus on
the translation. This is because we may not have enough computers
for translators and because many of them may not feel comfortable
with the computer (yet).

I am still wondering what version to translate as I´d like to translate
Sugar 0.88 in hopes of including the translation in the new images
that Bernie and ParaguayEduca team are preparing. But I don´t see
a String Freeze for this - where should I collect these .po files?

I´m created a ticket [1] to have privileges for these languages.
Also I´ll be in #olpc-pootle tomorrow in case we have further questions.

[1] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2038

Thanks for all your help!
Sebastian

2009/9/23 <s.boutayeb at free.fr>

Hi Chris,

> [...]
> Hope this helps
>
> Saludos/Best regards
>
> Samy
>

> Selon Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>:
>
> > Sebastian,
> >
> > Although it would certainly take some additional administrative
> > coordination, I've always wondered whether it might make sense to add a
> few
> > steps to an off-line translation workflow for indigineous South American
> > languages (Quechua, Aymara, etc.) where the original strings are first
> > rendered in Spanish and later switched back to English.  The reason being
> > that there may be more people for whom Spanish-to-Quechua translation is
> > feasible than English-to-Quechua (probably being discussed in Spanish).
> >
> > Using the Translation Toolkit poswap function, first take the completed
> > lang-es PO files and swap the msgid into Spanish, perform the Quechua
> > localization using an off-line tool, and then (before submission and
> > commitment to Pootle) swap the msgids back into English to create a
> properly
> > formatted PO file.
> >
> > http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/poswap
> >
> > I have not played around with this part of the Translate Toolkit, but it
> > certainly looks promising.  The fact tah tour Spanish Localization is
> very
> > near completion also helps a great deal.  Just a thought.
> >
> > cjl
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 6:42 AM, <s.boutayeb at free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > Hola Sebastian,

> > > After installing gtranslator on a XO with Sugar 0.84.2, I tried the
> > > installation
> > > of virtaal and Translate Toolkit
> > > (http://sourceforge.net/projects/translate/files/ ) but didn't succeed
> in
> > > running them on the XO.
> > >
> > > This said, those tools can be used on standard PC too.
> > >
> > > With an offline translation tool (gtranslator or another one), the
> workflow
> > > could be as following:
> > >
> > > - download a .po file from the pootle server.
> > > - open it with the translation tool and update the translation
> > > - compile the .po files into binary .mo files with msgfmt
> > > - copy the .mo file in the respective directory: the .mo files are
> stored
> > > in
> > > /usr/share/locale/<your locale>/LC_MESSAGES/ with the name of the
> original
> > > file
> > > + the extension .mo (e.g. labyrinth.mo is the compiled file for
> > > labyrinth.po)
> > > or, alternatively, in the /home/olpc/Activities/<Name of the
> > > Activity>/locale/<Your locale>/LC_MESSAGES/ , with the name (for
> example
> > > "org.gnome.Labyrinth.mo".
> > > - test your activity with your translation
> > > - correct the required strings with your translation tool
> > > - upload the corrected .po file on the Pootle server

Sebastian Silva
http://somosazucar.org/
"Te imaginas si te pudieran enseñar sólo a leer pero no a escribir??"