[Localization] [ANNOUNCE] Pootle migration

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 10:38:17 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
> Just a small heads-up - we are tentatively going to upgrade to Pootle
> 2.0 at the end of this week. I don't have a fixed date and time yet (I
> just uncovered a problem with Pootle's symlink handling which causes
> issues with our entire git<-->pootle workflow), however, I do expect a
> downtime of around 24 hours (since the metadata and indexing data
> associated with each PO file need to be refreshed as a part of the
> migration process).
> I will keep this list posted on how things go
> Thank you,
> Sayamindu

Sayamindu, thanks for all your work on keeping the SugarLabs / OLPC
localization infrastructure current.

Everyone should be aware that the Pootle 2.0 offers a substantially
different look-and-feel on the Home page to the Pootle ver 1.x servers we
have been using to date.  To get a sense of what the Pootle 2.0 interface
will look like, you can look at the Pootle server where Pootle itself is
localized.

http://pootle.locamotion.org/

Those of you who may have been following along on Pootle users list will
know that Pootle 2.0 is truly a major revision of this tool.  It still uses
the Translate Toolkit, but the web-serving elements have been completely
re-based on Django.  While the actual string translation interface is
prettier, it is still fairly familiar looking, so there should not be much
of a re-learning curve for localizers.  The re-basing on Django is said to
improve the ability to perform administrative tasks via the web-interface,
including better account and password management. which would be a win for
both admins and users.  I'm looking forward to working with the new version.

If you are really motivated, you can browse the very brief Release notes
here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/translate/files/Pootle/