[Localization] Speed of an average translator ...

Yuan Chao yuanchao at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 20:16:10 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:33 AM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
> It also depends on how established is the technical jargon for your
> language and the familiarity of the translator with it.
Indeed, without a consistent terminology set, there would be more and more
variants with more translators. It will take more time to check through the
translated POs.

To me that Pootle does a good thing that shows "suggestions" on the side
although generally it's slower as more clicks needed and more network
overheads comparing with offline translation tools. Just that it's not always
available and not very clear to me what's the "source" of the suggested terms.

> On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 08:27:55PM +0100, Urso Wieske wrote:
>> Hi Khaled,
>>
>> I see I have a more conservative rate. I am thinking of using Pootle as the
>> default tool of translation for my team.
>> But eToys is a big project so I think I am going to use Virtaal in order to
>> profit of the higher speed rate.
>>
>> So I think if I take 200 words per hour on Pootle, that would be an acceptable
>> indication. (I am setting up a project planning and want calculate the amount
>> of work to be translated.)
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Urso
>>
>> 2010/2/7 Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>
>>
>>     On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 08:11:53PM +0100, Urso Wieske wrote:
>>     > Hi Folks,
>>     >
>>     > I am wondering what the translation speed is of an average translator?
>>     > I read somewhere around 100 words per hour.
>>     >
>>     > Is there any person in the community who thinks that is number is an
>>     acceptable
>>     > rate for an average translator?
>>
>>     I do ~500 words per hour when I'm in "translation mode", some times more
>>     some times less. Only when I use a desktop translation editor (Virtaal
>>     these days), using Pootle or any other online tool is much more slower.
>>
>>     Regards,
>>      Khaled
>>
>>     --
>>      Khaled Hosny
>>      Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team
>>      Free font developer
>>

> --
>  Khaled Hosny
>  Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team
>  Free font developer

Best regards,
Yuan Chao