[Localization] various glitches (was: Localization efforts needed)

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Mon Sep 21 16:08:04 EDT 2009

Looking at the Spanish Honey files
(http://translate.sugarlabs.org/es/honey/) I noticed that the
viewslides.po file has an 'X' next to it (and 0% completion) due to the
following error (from X mouseover):

viewslides.po: 70: 10: invalid multibyte sequence
viewslides.po: 70: 11: invalid multibyte sequence
msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors

When clicking on the viewslides.po file, I get the following error:

Error pootlestatistics instance has no attribute 'classifyunits'

but no strings are displayed.  I can see strings in other languages
(e.g. Portuguese).

*******

Chris - I just went through your suggestions (and untranslated items)
for Turtle Art in Spanish - where your suggestions seemed correct to me,
I entered them as translations, and I made suggestions where we differed
(or you had no suggestion) - I also entered a few translations (where
the technical content made it seem unlikely we would get better
alternatives, e.g. for the FILO heap stuff) and corrections of fuzzy
items as well.  You might want to review suggestions and enter any of my
suggestions which seem good to you.  We probably want a native speaker
to review all of this, but there is a lot of new technical stuff in
there that will be problematic for most translators without programming
experience.

*******

In the calculate activity (eqnparserhelp.py:107) the English string
"sinh(x), return the hyperbolic tangent of x. Given by sinh(x) /
cosh(x)" is incorrect (this describes tanh, not sinh) and I suggest
breaking the string freeze to correct this (I entered corrected [using
tanh] translations of the incorrect text for Spanish and Portuguese, but
why should English speakers be stuck with the incorrect text?).

*******

Finally, is there some way to contact the administrator(s) for the
Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese translation teams?  Brazilian
Portuguese seems to be in pretty dismal shape compared to the
(non-Brazilian) Portuguese (Glucose only 10%, Fructose a little bit
better at 34%, and Honey at 58% - although as noted above, these
statistics are probably worse than the reality).

While I have translation rights for Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese
Fructose, I only have suggestion rights for Glucose and Honey (I cannot
send / update translations) and don't particularly want to spend a lot
of time making suggestions that may or may not actually ever be reviewed
and incorporated.  If the administrator(s) are willing to grant me
translation rights (or provide some guarantee that suggestions I make
will actually be reviewed and incorporated) I would be willing to help
clear up some of the problems with the Brazilian Portuguese translations.

Although I am not a native speaker, I can provide as reference of my
ability the following comments on my translations for Virtaal from the
Pootle translate-devel mailing list:

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com