[Localization] request for information: how to get a .pdf file to use fonts on an XO

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Oct 30 06:13:26 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 18:54, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

> greetings,
>   i hope you can provide me with a solution for the
> problem of presenting MOE books on an XO, this in
> support of Carol Ruth Silver's pilot program to support
> home schooling in rural Afghanistan.
> http://www.moe.gov.af/books.htm#
>
>   the Afghanistan Ministry of Education web site has
> various books, each of which is a directory with a
> front and back cover, table of contents, first section,
> second section, and a subdirectory called fonts in
> which there are several .ttf font files.
>   i've copied the entire set for a book (Pashto Books :
> Grade 1 : Math) to a Math subdirectory under the
> /home/olpc/ directory (XO 1, OS build 8.2.1),
>
> then as root i created a /usr/share/fonts/truetype
> directory and copied the fonts there,
>
> then i've run the fc-cache /usr/share/fonts/truetype
> command,
>
> then run the fc-list | sort command and saw the new
> fonts in the list.
>
> i edited the /home/olpc/.library/index.html files to
> add a link to one of the math sections,
>
> then i used the browser and clicked the link to the
> math section and got the file loaded but with empty
> rectangles rather than the fonts.
>
> how can i get the .pdf file to display with the fonts?

Can you disable Rainbow and try again? Could be that Read is not
finding the fonts. Instructions here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Rainbow/Information_for_Activity_Developers#Disabling_Rainbow_for_Testing

> is there a way to assemble the four .pdf files so that
> they are a single .pdf (can it be as simple as using
> the cat command)?

Please tell us if what suggested Nicolas worked for you.

If you don't get it working soon, please publish the files somewhere
and we can give it a look.

Good luck,

Tomeu

> my thanks,