[Localization] request for information: how to get a .pdf file to use fonts on an XO

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Fri Oct 30 05:39:06 EDT 2009

jim wrote:
> greetings,
>    i hope you can provide me with a solution for the
> problem of presenting MOE books on an XO, this in
> support of Carol Ruth Silver's pilot program to support
> home schooling in rural Afghanistan.
> http://www.moe.gov.af/books.htm#
>
>    the Afghanistan Ministry of Education web site has
> various books, each of which is a directory with a
> front and back cover, table of contents, first section,
> second section, and a subdirectory called fonts in
> which there are several .ttf font files.
>    i've copied the entire set for a book (Pashto Books :
> Grade 1 : Math) to a Math subdirectory under the
> /home/olpc/ directory (XO 1, OS build 8.2.1),
>
> then as root i created a /usr/share/fonts/truetype
> directory and copied the fonts there,
>
> then i've run the fc-cache /usr/share/fonts/truetype
> command,
>
> then run the fc-list | sort command and saw the new
> fonts in the list.
>
> i edited the /home/olpc/.library/index.html files to
> add a link to one of the math sections,
>
> then i used the browser and clicked the link to the
> math section and got the file loaded but with empty
> rectangles rather than the fonts.
>
> how can i get the .pdf file to display with the fonts?

Presumably the fonts have not been embedded fully in the pdf and
fallback is problematic.

You could check with pdffonts of podofo for more details.
(can't seem to retrieve the pdf right now mysefl to take a look).

Seeing how the Scheherazade open font has now been packaged for Fedora:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIL_Scheherazade_fonts you may want to
investigate if you can use it.

Scheherazade is released under the OFL - the community recommendation
for a font-specific free software license - so it also grants explicit
permission for embedding.

> is there a way to assemble the four .pdf files so that
> they are a single .pdf (can it be as simple as using
> the cat command)?

I recommend pdftk available on http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

Try something like:
pdftk *.pdf cat output combined.pdf

> my thanks,
> jim stockford for carol ruth silver

HTH,

--
Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary